I snap my knuckles and turn my wrist to check the time. It's ten past 7pm and the day is over, over finally. I did more paperwork than expected. I feel in control. Reason to party. I've been neglecting Christina, I think. Then the special phone rings.
I flip it open, kick the drawer and take the safe off the gun in the time I say "Perenti."
It's Venturi. It should not be her. She has no access to this line, I think. Wrong - she is supposed not to. As I correct myself mentally she is apparently saying security has called her, a student is critical and another dead, and she called in medevac from the local army base.
I'm saying "You need my clearance for that, Venturi, stop this madness now. We'll be on each and every newspaper..."
A loud noise of blades fending air makes me stop. I scream on the line but Venturi is gone. I fold on the desk and want to be home. A vague memory of being in control pops like a soap bubble.
I pull up and light a cigarette. Keeping calm is the only way. I take five deep drafts.
Then I throw the chair back and start running.
Janus Research: for detective stories with a twist.
16 years ago


No comments:
Post a Comment